Today has been an interesting day for Apple. The Apple event, held today, was a showcase of the upgraded products under the iPhone and iPod brand.
To kick start the event, Apple CEO, Tim Cook gave the usual statistics about sales, new stores, OSX, Macs and growth in the App store.
Apple first of all announced the iPhone 5.
The device, sporting a beautiful 4-inch Retina display with 1136 x 640 resolution 326 ppi makes the device slightly taller than its predecessor. It is also about 18% thinner than the iPhone 4S and 20% lighter, making it the thinnest and lightest iPhone to date. Other internal features include;
- A much faster, yet smaller, A6 system on a chip.
- WiFi: Dual-channel 802.11a.
- Improved battery life
- The camera is an enhanced 8 megapixel iSight which allows 40% faster photo captures.
- Incredible new panorama mode, which allows you to take, pictures up to 28 megapixels!
- Improved speakers (you can even guess from the awesome new speaker grills!)
- Three microphones: back, bottom, front.
- FaceTime HD (720p) lens on the front
- Improved 1080p video capture, face recognition, better stabilization. It also allows you to take photos as you are recording video.
- Noise canceling earpiece.
The Phone will be in stores on September 21st and will cost same prices as iPhone 4S. $199, $299 and $399 for the 16GB, 32GB and 64GB respectively. While the 4s dropped to $99 and the 4 is now free all on contract.
Below are photos from the event as well as the new devices
The new iTunes, ‘iTunes 11’ shows off a simplified interface with a nice split view and all new UI. It also has a new mini-player as well as a revamped iTunes store.
iTunes 11 will be available in October.
Apple announced two new exciting iPod upgrades.
- The iPod Nano, which has a bigger touch display at 2.5 inches, comes in 7 new colours and is said to be the thinnest Nano yet! It will be available in October and in 16GB capacity only.
- iPod Touch was redesigned and now comes in a variety of amazing colours! Improved front and rear facing cameras, 4 inch Retina display and comes in 32GB and 64GB only and will be available in October.
The devices also saw a new earphone redesign and a new 8-pin USB connector dubbed “Lightening”.
And that’s pretty much what’s new with Apple. More information is available on Apple’s site.
It would be interesting to see how the queues for this phone will be.
What do you think about the iPhone and the iPods?? As for me, I’ll be on that iPhone 5 queue!