Facts And Stats From Mobile Web West Africa 2012
The Mobile Web West Africa conference officially ended on Friday last week. It was a gathering of Mobile developers, advertisers, enthusiasts and let’s not forget the bloggers.
Almost every representative from every company shared their stats. Men lie, women lie but numbers don’t.
Here’s a roundup of mobile web and application statistics that were shared at the event.
- 70 percent of Internet users in Africa are mobile
- In the 1st quarter of 2012, InMobi had 34 billion ad impressions, a 200% growth from the last quarter
- Nigeria is InMobi’s largest market with 8 billion impressions in Q1
- Nokia remains dominant in Nigeria while BlackBerry is seeing growth
- With 69 percent of sports site visits, Goal.com is the major site for accessing football. Complete Sports stands at 7th
- There are over 77 million BlackBerry subscribers worldwide, 190 million shipped devices.
- Over 2 billion apps downloaded from BlackBerry App World to date and 177 million apps downloaded monthly
- Nigeria makes up 32% of downloaded BlackBerry apps in Africa
- 32% of BlackBerry App Developers make over $100K
- BlackBerry Curve 8250 is RIM’s best selling phone in Nigeria
- Mobile is 3.5 percent of Africa’s GDP
- In South Africa, 39 percent of emails sent and received are by mobile phone
- Within three days of Bozza’s launch, there were 40,000 downloads. 170,000 in the 3 months that followed
- MXit has over 50 million registered users with 750 million messages a day
- MXit makes about $2 million of chat room ‘Mula’. Mula is the virtual currency on MXit
- 60 percent of Google searches in Nigeria are mobile
- 65 percent of mobile internet users download stuff
- Nokia’s Ovi store has 100,000 apps and 13 million downloads daily
- CcHub has about 445 members, 16 corporate members, six hackathons, two start-ups and two managed funds
- There are 21 million mobile phones in Ghana. That’s a penetration rate of over 80%
- Eskimi has over 3 million Nigerians on its network, 10,000 new users everyday. 180,000 use it everyday. 1 billion ad impressions monthly
- Guinness VIP has about 1 million users
- In four months, Guiness VIP had 530,000 users. 9000+ of them are on every second
- Nigeria has an estimated number of 2million Twitter users. Facebook stands at 4.1million
- Opera Mini is the most downloaded app in Nigeria. 10.48million downloads
- 61 percent of views on BBC’s mobile site are from Nigeria. 61 out of the 35% international views
- 90 percent of mobile web surfing in Nigeria is done via Opera Mini
- Facebook has 90 percent of its Nigerian users accessing it via mobile